Causes of goose bumps
Everyone was surely heard about such a goose-skin phenomenon. But why does she appear? And how to cope with such a problem?
The appearance of goose bumps on the skin (in medicine, this phenomenon is called follicular keratosis) is a reflex, which, by the way, is present not only in humans, but also in many mammals with a coat of wool. Many have noticed that goosebumps appear on the body in the cold, as well as under stress. What is the reason?
The fact is that peripheral nerves are stimulated and send signals to the brain, to which he responds by stimulating the autonomic nerve endings located under the skin. Their activation causes the smooth muscles to contract, which is directly related to the hair follicles. The follicles grow in size, and the hairs that grow from them literally stand on end.
And all this is conceived by nature itself. Such a reflex allows all animals to change the properties of the coat and retain heat. In addition, when the wool rises in a mammal in a state of fear,this leads to an increase in body size and the acquisition of a rather frightening look (think of sizzling cats with raised wool).
Such a reflex is quite understandable, and “goose bumps” usually turn into normal almost immediately after a person warms or calms down. But if goose bumps remain and does not pass, then this is already a problem, the reasons for which, by the way, can be very serious.
Detailed description of the symptoms does not make sense, because of how the goose bumps look like, many people probably know. It is worth writing a little about their localization. Most often they occur in areas of the body that have hair. Favorite places are legs and arms. In addition, often goosebumps also occurs on the buttocks. If the problem has acquired a catastrophic scale, then almost the whole body can be covered with goosebumps.
Why do goose bumps appear?
We list the main causes of goose bumps:
- Since the condition of the hair follicles is responsible for vitamins such as C, E, D and A, their lack can lead to the appearance of creeps on the hands and other parts of the body. Deficiency can occur with unbalanced or malnutrition, as well as a strict diet.In addition, inadequate absorption of nutrients from food can be a consequence of digestive problems.
- Wrong skin care. Contaminants can clog pores and hair follicles, which often cause goose bumps.
- On the legs (especially the back) and the buttocks, goose bumps may appear due to an inactive way of life. If a person spends a lot of time in a sitting position, then the blood circulation and blood supply to the follicles is disturbed, and because of this their work is disturbed.
- Hormonal disruptions or diseases of the endocrine system. For example, a child may have goosebumps during active growth or during puberty, when hormonal surges occur. In addition, goose bumps may appear during pregnancy or after childbirth.
- Individual characteristics. Goosebumps can be the result of certain features of the endocrine system or metabolic processes.
- Sometimes goose skin occurs with varicose veins and other vascular diseases, leading to deterioration of the blood supply to the hair follicles.
- Diseases of the nervous system. As noted above, the appearance of goose bumps is caused by impulses sent to the brain by nerve endings.And if these endings are constantly in an excited state for some reason, then goosebumps will appear periodically or permanently, regardless of external stimuli and human condition.
- Some skin diseases. For example, banal dermatitis may appear this way.
- Heredity. In some cases, follicular keratosis is an independent hereditary disease.
- Allergic skin reaction can also manifest itself in the form of goosebumps.
How to solve a problem?
How to get rid of goose bumps? To forget about such a problem forever, you must first eliminate its causes. Therefore, if there is a disease that causes goosebumps on the skin, then it should be treated. However, symptomatic therapy that will help normalize hair follicle function and improve the skin condition is also useful:
- Oddly enough, but the sun's rays can help. Vitamin D is produced in the body under the influence of ultraviolet radiation, so a healthy tan can help get rid of goose bumps. And in the winter you can go through several procedures of ultraviolet irradiation.
- Try to regularly visit a sauna or a bath, such procedures (of course, if they are carried out correctly) are useful not only for the skin, but also for the whole organism. Under the influence of heat pores will be opened and cleaned, and blood circulation and, accordingly, the blood supply to the epidermis will improve.
- Eat correctly and in a balanced way, make sure that the food included products rich in vitamins E, D, A, C: green vegetables and greens, citrus, carrots, persimmons, dairy products, nuts, vegetable oils, sea fish. In case of severe vitamin deficiency, consult with your doctor about additional vitamin supplements.
- Treatment can include a variety of peelings, which, first, will help exfoliate the dead skin cells and cleanse the epidermis, and secondly, improve blood circulation at the local level. You can buy special cosmetics (scrubs), and you can use improvised folk remedies, for example, ground coffee, honey, sea salt, oatmeal and so on.
- Provide proper skin care. Take a shower regularly (daily), use the appropriate means.
- Try not to wear clothes made of synthetic materials. They do not pass air and do not allow the skin to breathe normally.
- An appropriate and effective procedure will be a massage, as it will significantly improve the nutrition of the follicles and normalize their work. You can do a canned vacuum massage, use a massager, your own hands (tingling and rubbing are especially useful), a rough towel or washcloth.
- Try this procedure as a wrap. Use red pepper, honey, cosmetic clay. Put the composition on problem areas, wrap them with a film, and on top put on something warm. After two or three hours, rinse with warm water.
- Warm compresses can help. It is advisable to use decoctions of herbs, for example, chamomile, series, sage, nettle, oak bark. To prepare such a tool, pour a couple of tablespoons of raw material with a glass of boiling water, simmer on fire for about ten minutes, strain. In a warm broth moisten a piece of cloth and attach it to the problem area for an hour.
Let goose bumps never bother you!