Features care for the snail Helena
Snails do not cause trouble, so they give birth to many. And one of the representatives of such gastropod mollusks is Helena. Learn how to care for her.
Helena snail is a freshwater gastropod mollusk. It lives in standing or flowing waters, mainly in southeast Asia, for example, in Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. Most of the time they spend on the bottom, preferring solid ground or sand.
The shell has the shape of a cone, of the order of seven curls and a length reaching 2 cm (diameter is usually about 6-12 mm). The color is brown or yellow, but there are also several spiral dark bands. The body is brown and the leg has a lighter shade. The tentacles are slightly curved, with eyes at their bases. A radula (in other words, an oral apparatus) contains three teeth. Helena is a predator, she eats insects and other mollusks (including snails), but can eat carrion. Life expectancy is about two years.
Is it worth getting a snail?
Getting Helena, it is worth remembering that she is a predator that can eat other mollusks. But if you want to clean the aquarium or reduce the population of some of its inhabitants, then such a snail will help you with this.
How to contain?
How to care for snail helena? It is unpretentious, so there is nothing complicated.
- The aquarium can be any, even small. But nevertheless, such a snail will feel more comfortable in a container with a volume of 15-20 liters.
- Water. First of all, it should be fresh, so do not add salt to it. There are no other stringent requirements, but medium or high stiffness, which strengthens the shell, is a desirable condition. The optimum level of acidity is from 7 to 8 pH.
- The temperature of the water in the aquarium should be about 20-24 degrees, when lowered, helene can become sluggish and stop feeding.
- A prerequisite is the ground, the snail is buried in it to hide and find food. And it should be soft, so for filling the bottom of the aquarium, it is desirable to use either sand or gravel (its fraction should not exceed 2 mm).
As already noted above, Helena can eat other mollusks, for example, coils, melania, physical. But there is nothing to be afraid of large snails, they will not be attacked by a predator. It is worth a little to describe the process of eating food, it is very interesting.
Helena catches up (she moves fast enough) or lies in wait for her victim, attacks her, puts proboscis into the shell and literally drains the body, and then digs into the ground and begins to digest the eaten food. But also this snail can eat some insects, carrion and even small fish or fry, if it can overtake them.
If there are no other inhabitants in the aquarium, you can use bloodworms, worms. Although it is not necessary to offer a pet to insects, you can use food, but it must contain protein (it is necessary for normal life)
Such snails breed well at home. But they are heterosexual, there is no hermaphrodite among them. And this means that fertilization should occur, that is, the female and male will be required to continue the race. But such cephalopod mollusks have practically no sex differences, so some difficulties may arise.To increase the chances of successful procreation, several individuals should be acquired, then the likelihood that among them will turn out to be opposite-sex, will increase significantly.
Mating is slow, and for fertilization to occur, a calm environment is needed. If you have identified a pair (such snails will spend a lot of time together), then drop it into a separate aquarium. Mating lasts a long time, sometimes its duration reaches several hours.
If everything went well, the female will lay an egg, securing it on some hard surface. A month later, there will be small snails, which immediately begin to dig in the ground. The next five months they will eat carrion and the remains of fish food. And when they grow up to 5-10 millimeters, they can begin to hunt.
A few recommendations:
- Recently acquired snails are best not immediately put in a common aquarium. Give them a little time to adapt, and only then relocate to a permanent place of residence.
- Although with the fish Helen can get along, all the same eggs will eat, if they get. In addition, she can attack a weak or sick inhabitants.But from medium or small snails of this predatory mollusk it is desirable to resettle, they may suffer.
- To maintain balance in the aquarium, it is worthwhile to control the amount of helen, otherwise they will disrupt the bio-environment and eat many inhabitants.
If you follow all the above rules, you can maintain and even breed Helena snails.