How is spirulina useful for humans?
Ponds provide many products that people have learned to eat. A good example is spirulina, which has been known for a very long time, is rich in nutrients and has amazing properties. Find out what it is so useful, and also learn how to apply it correctly.
What is it?
Many are sure that spirulina is algae, but in fact it is not. Spirulina, which is the Latin name for Arthrospira, is a living organism belonging to the genus of so-called cyanobacteria. They form filamentary structures and freely float in water.
In the wild, spirulina lives in warm water bodies located in subtropics and tropics with a high level of acidity and good illumination. But today, at the peak of the popularity of all kinds of biologically active additives, the microorganism is actively cultivated and grown under artificial conditions in different countries, such as Bangladesh, Greece, Taiwan, India, Pakistan, Chile and others.
Spirulina is known to mankind for a long time and for a long time (up to 15-16 centuries) was the main food of many tribes, including the Aztecs. At that time, it was mined from Lake Texcoco, and there was also a lot of spirulina in Chad. Further, the use of as urbanization declined.
For your information! There are different types of spirulina, but only two are eaten by animals and humans. And the name is commercial and was invented.
What contains amazing spirulina?
The composition of spirulina is rich and truly amazing. In dry form, it contains up to 60-70% of vegetable protein. There are numerous important and essential amino acids: lysine, arginine, cysteine, tyrosine, and others. Lipids, organic acids, calcium, copper, chromium, manganese, iron, potassium, sodium, zinc, phosphorus, selenium, magnesium, vitamins C, D, A and group B are also found in the composition.
What is the use?
The beneficial properties of the unique microorganism Spirulina are unique and important to humans. Consider them in detail:
- A large part of the mass of unique spirulina is vegetable protein, which is absorbed by the human body even better than the animal one. And proteins are the building blocks from which muscles, immune cells and other tissues are formed.
- Amino acids and phosphorus are very useful for the brain, as they increase the volume of gray matter, prevent the start of degenerative processes. Regular use of spirulina will improve memory and thinking ability, increase concentration of attention.
- Iron will improve blood composition by increasing the level of hemoglobin in it. And this substance provides transportation of oxygen, which is extremely important for all tissues of the body.
- It contains the most powerful natural antioxidants that neutralize the activity of free radicals and, thus, stop premature aging and prevent the oxidation of tissues. And it is also a good prevention of cancer.
- Spirulina helps to normalize and accelerate the course of metabolic processes and important reactions in the body.
- The vitamins of group B, of which there are quite a few, are necessary for the smooth functioning of the nervous system. They provide nerve impulses, help with sleep deterioration, relieve from the effects of stress and eliminate increased nervous excitability.
- Spirulina is also useful for the liver, as it reduces the load placed on this organ and stimulates cell regeneration.
- The product has an anti-toxic effect, contributes to the removal of slag substances, as well as salts of heavy metals.
- It is useful to use spirulina for diseases of the joints, such as arthritis. The substances contained here have chondroprotective properties, that is, they protect the articular tissues from destruction and degenerative changes, and restore the structure.
- Cyanobacteria living in water bodies, entering the human body, stabilize cholesterol levels, reducing the number of “bad” lipoproteins that contribute to the development of atherosclerosis.
- Zinc has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect on various tissues of the body, due to which it is useful to use spirulina in case of inflammatory diseases.
- Selenium is particularly beneficial for men, as it improves sperm quality and speeds up viable sperm. It is proved that the product has a beneficial effect on both male and female libido.
- Spirulina promotes normal digestion, gently stimulates intestinal peristalsis and cleans it in a timely manner.
- Potassium strengthens the heart muscle of the myocardium, thereby reducing the risk of heart attack and normalizes the contractile activity of the heart.
- Spirulina is useful for weight loss, as it gives a feeling of fullness, prevents overeating, reduces the amount of food eaten and "stimulates" metabolism.
- The considered microorganism has a positive effect on the skin and is often included in the composition of the care and cosmetics, as it accelerates the processes of regeneration, nourishes, restores the structure of the dermis.
- Spirulina is very useful for the immune system and strengthens the body's natural defenses.
- Iodine is necessary for the smooth operation of the thyroid gland.
Can everyone eat?
Spirulina, like any other product, has contraindications, albeit few. First of all, it is an individual hypersensitivity. Spirulina is used with caution when breastfeeding and during pregnancy, kidney disease, autoimmune diseases - multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus.
It is undesirable to take supplements based on spirulina simultaneously with immunosuppressants (drugs that suppress the immune system), anticoagulants, iodine-containing agents.
Important! If abused, symptoms such as vomiting and nausea, general malaise, flatulence may occur. Allergic reactions are likely.
How to take spirulina? In the pharmacy you can buy a biologically active additive in the form of capsules, powder or tablets. The powder is dissolved in water or drinks, is added to food. A day is enough to use a teaspoon, but it is possible to increase the dosage to 10 grams.
Spirulina in tablets is convenient with clear and clearly measured doses, indicated in the attached instructions. Usually this is a three-time reception in one piece. The same applies to capsules.
Spirulina can be used in cooking, adding to smoothies, sour-milk drinks, teas, cocktails. It can be included in the composition of dishes and used in the form of seasoning or a useful additive.
It is important to know! Acquire only spirulina produced by reputable well-known manufacturers, as a poor-quality product may contain heavy metals (mercury) and toxic microcystin compounds.
Use in cosmetology
Spirulina has moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, rejuvenating, nourishing and regenerating properties, due to which it can be used in cosmetology. You can simply add powder or crushed tablets to finished cosmetics.
Another option is to use homemade recipes. The easiest way is to dilute the powdered dietary supplement with warm water to a mushy state and apply the mixture on the face, leaving it to dry completely. Then just wash your face. Spirulina is also added to all kinds of homemade masks.
Unique spirulina is very helpful. But you will feel the benefit only if you acquire a quality product and apply it correctly.