How can be interesting to cook red mullet?
The inhabitants of the maritime regions are probably well aware of such a small fish like red mullet. And, despite its small size, from it you can cook a lot of healthy and tasty dishes.
What is this fish?
Barabul or, as it is called otherwise, the sultan is a genus of fish belonging to the small family of the goatfish. The body is small, its length does not exceed 30 centimeters, but, nevertheless, the fish is considered a valuable trade, and in some regions is regarded as a delicacy. Distinctive features are the reddish shade of some areas of silver scales, as well as the antennae located on the lower jaw, reminiscent of a beard (by the way, it gave the name to the genus, and it translates roughly like a "beard").
Red mullets are found in many seas, including the Black, Azov, Mediterranean and others. They live in small depths in the sand and eat benthic inhabitants.
As already noted above, bulgar is considered a real delicacy and is very much appreciated.This is due to its delicate and fragrant fat, as well as nourishing white meat, which give the dishes a unique aroma and pleasant taste.
What to cook from this fish?
There are a variety of recipes for cooking such fish as mullet, and some will be considered in detail.
Recipe number 1
The simplest recipe is grilled red mullet, which is ideal for beer. For cooking you will need:
- about 1 kg of red mullet;
- two or three tablespoons of flour;
- pepper, salt, other spices to your taste;
- vegetable oil (if desired, you can replace creamy).
- Fish should be thoroughly washed. It is not necessary to clean it, as the scales are very shallow and hardly felt after heat treatment.
- Next, salt and season each fish with spices and pepper, then dip in flour completely.
- Fry the barabulek in a pan in a well-heated oil so that the fish are covered with an appetizing golden crunchy crust.
If you want to remove excess oil from such a dish, then put the barabulek on a paper towel or blot them with a napkin.
Recipe number 2
A mullet can be baked in the oven, and such a dish will turn out very appetizing.Here is what you need:
- kilogram of red mullet;
- five or six cloves of garlic;
- onion head;
- three fairly large tomatoes;
- bunch of parsley;
- teaspoon fresh or dried thyme;
- half a cup of olive oil;
- Wash the fish, clean it if necessary, then transfer to a colander and salt. While you are preparing other ingredients, the red mullet will have time to salt out, and excess moisture will drain from it.
- Cut the tomatoes into rings, finely chop the onion after cleaning, chop, chop the garlic, for example, by passing it through a press or rub it on a grater. All these components are mixed, add ground pepper and salt.
- Prepare a sufficiently large baking tray, apply oil to the bottom and place half the vegetable mixture described in the previous paragraph. Next, put on the layer of red mullet, and on top distribute the remnants of tomatoes, onions and garlic with spices. Then pour all the olive oil.
- Send the baking tray to an oven heated to 190 degrees for about 40-50 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.
- A simple but interesting dish is ready!
Recipe number 3
If you want something exquisite, then try to cook red mullet in a great wine sauce. Prepare the following ingredients:
- 600-700 g barabulлек;
- two or three garlic cloves;
- large onion;
- several peas carnations;
- ground pepper;
- 70-80 ml of white wine;
- 100 ml of water;
- olive oil;
- Clean and wash the fish, and then gut by cutting off the tails and heads.
- Peel the onions, cut them in thin half-rings, and chop the garlic in any way you like. Carrots are best rubbed on a large grater.
- In a frying pan with high walls, heat the oil, fry the onions on it for a minute or two, then immediately add the carrots. After five to seven minutes, put pepper, bay leaf and cloves, and pour in wine diluted with water.
- Put the fish in the wine-vegetable sauce, cover and simmer for fifteen minutes on low heat.
- At the very end, salt the dish and pepper, after a minute, turn off the fire. Such fish will turn out very gentle, melting in a mouth.
Recipe number 4
Cook red mullet with mushrooms. This will require:
- 1 kg of red mullet;
- 400-500 g of champignons;
- a tomato;
- 2/3 cup of cream;
- about 100 grams of hard cheese;
- some flour;
- pepper with salt.
- The fish must first be washed, cleaned and gutted. Next, sprinkle it with lemon juice and rub with salt, leave to marinate for half an hour.
- Warm up the butter in a skillet and fry the goatfish until golden brown, each rolling them up in flour.
- Next, prepare the vegetables and mushrooms. Cut the tomatoes into rings, the onion - half rings. Mushrooms preferably cut into plates.
- In a baking sheet or a form oiled, first place the tomatoes, then the fried scrambled eggs, then the mushrooms and onions. Fill it with cream and sprinkle the cheese grated on top.
- Send the form to an oven preheated to 180 degrees for about twenty or twenty five minutes.
A few tips for hostess:
- If the mullets are large, it is desirable to clean them. It is most convenient to do this under a stream of water or in a package so that the scales do not fly apart.
- To remove the peculiar smell of the sea (although to some it seems rather pleasant), you must first marinate the fish by sprinkling it with lemon juice.
- If possible, buy a fresh or chilled drumstick. And if you live far from the sea, then only frozen fish is available to you, but make sure that there is as little ice as possible, and the carcasses are not badly damaged and collapsed.
- Remember that the mullet has a very delicate pulp, so it prepares quickly. And if the heat treatment will be too long, it will not benefit the dish. On the contrary, the fish will become dry and lose its qualities, for which it is so appreciated.
- Spice up such fish with your favorite spices. But they should not be too bright or sharp, otherwise the taste of the mullet will be lost. The main task of seasonings is to emphasize the quality of the dish, so do not overdo it.
If you decide to purchase a mullet, now you can definitely cook a lot of amazing and simple dishes from this delicious fish.