How to apply liquid wallpaper?
Watch the video
You started a repair, purchased or just going to buy liquid wallpaper, and you are interested in how to apply them? We will tell you how to apply liquid wallpaper: what kind of tool is needed, whether you need to pre-prepare the walls, how to make a dry mixture. So, about the implementation of the process you have planned!
First of all, prepare the tool that you will need in the process of applying liquid wallpaper:
- Plastic spatula,
- Trowel for leveling mortar,
- Linen bryzgalka (spray) for wetting surfaces,
- Tazy and buckets in which the solution will be mixed,
- Roller for soil
- Searchlight or powerful flashlight.
After all the necessary tools are prepared, it is necessary to pre-process the walls. It takes place in two main stages:
- The alignment of the walls, if they have irregularities. For this purpose, ordinary plaster with fine sand and starting putty will suffice.Putty you need only if you use rough plaster.
- Primer and painting. Experienced craftsmen advise to use a front primer for liquid wallpaper, that is, a primer paint for facade work. Under the liquid wallpaper will be enough two layers of primer.
First, proceed to the alignment:
- Remove from the walls all the old materials: wallpaper, paint, primer, plaster, etc.
- We also get rid of all the objects protruding from the wall: nails, screws, screws, protruding pieces of reinforcement.
- We fill up all the protruding plastic elements and pipes.
- We pat (fill with plaster) small holes, pits, hollows. Align the protrusions with a height of more than two millimeters.
- Plaster all the joints and seams on the walls, as well as cracks and cracks.
- We pass a thin layer of plaster over the entire surface of the walls, finally aligning it.
Next, proceed to priming and painting:
- Apply the first layer of paint-primer and wait until it is completely dry.
- Ground the surface of the walls a second time and again leave the primer to dry. If the primer used inexpensive paint is not too high quality, then primed the wall in three or four layers.
- We paint the walls with an ordinary water-based paint, which must be white.The white color of the walls is a prerequisite for their preparation for the application of liquid wallpaper.
Once the walls are ready, you can begin to prepare the liquid wallpaper itself.
Preparation of the solution
The preparation of liquid wallpaper for wall coating is the mixing of the solution. Dry mix of liquid wallpaper is sold in two forms: ready-made, which should only be diluted with water, and professional, which requires the addition of color schemes, decorative components and water.
In the process of preparing liquid wallpaper, the dry solution is mixed with water and left to swell for a while. Mix the solution should be strictly in accordance with the instructions, following the dosage and technology. And yet there are some universal recommendations that will ease your kneading process.
- Dilute wallpaper with warm water.
- Knead the solution with your hands.
- First mix only one bag.
- Knead the solution in one bag, not dividing it into pieces! Only then all the components of the mixture are mixed evenly.
When the wallpaper is ready for application, practice, that is, tuck your hand on a small section of the wall, which then will not be too noticeable (under the window, behind the furniture). Match the selected area for the application of wallpaper with the volume of the mixed solution and start the process.
- Use a plastic spatula to apply the solution to a selected area of the wall. Apply the solution in small portions, just like a regular putty. If the mixture sticks poorly to the wall, then add some water to it.
- Using a trowel, level the applied mixture, distributing it in a not very thin layer to achieve a glowing effect.
- Using a spotlight or a lantern, highlight the wall on the side to see and correct the flaws: nodules and stains.
- Go to the next section of the wall and repeat the whole process, starting with the application of a solution with a spatula.
- Spray the edge of the treated area with water so that the transitions are not visible.
- Apply liquid wallpaper across the entire width of the wall from corner to corner, gradually moving from top to bottom.
- At the end of the work sprinkle the wall with water and gently smooth out the wallpaper with a spatula.
- Wait until the liquid wallpaper is completely dry, which will take about a day.
Now you know how to apply liquid wallpaper. We hope that our recommendations will help you in the process.