How to clean an aquarium - a step-by-step cleaning plan
An aquarium is a small world in water. Observation of fish is a fascinating affair, but there comes a time when each owner of a personal underwater kingdom begins to ask questions about cleaning the aquarium with fish at home.
In the process of cleaning the tank for fish should be rid of unnecessary objects and raid that forms on the walls. Consider the main causes of algae growth.
- Overpopulation of inhabitants. One individual should be about two liters of water.
- Excess feed. All food that is not eaten by fish, settles at the bottom and eventually begins to decompose.
- Stagnant water.
- Shine. Because of the bright light is blooming water. Such an environment is favorable for algae.
After finding out the reasons, you can start cleaning.
How often to clean the aquarium and why
At home, it is impossible to create a favorable environment for fish, which would eliminate the cleaning process.Snails will help to cope with some pollution, but sooner or later human intervention will be needed. You need to know how often to clean the aquarium.
The frequency depends on the volume. If the capacity is 50 liters and more - will have to be cleaned more often. Initially, the cause of pollution is the lack of a proper microclimate for fish. This indicates errors during startup. To do this, there is a drug that promotes the formation of bacteria. At small sizes, cleaning can be carried out as much as possible. For example, if the volume is up to 20 liters, you can clean it once in 2 weeks.
During cleaning, you need to bleach the scenery, wash the plants, remove plaque from the walls. Partial water replacement occurs once every few weeks. If the aquarium is cleaned frequently, you can reduce the amount of fish food. There are cases when the filter does not cope with the work. This may be due to the large number of fish. In such cases, it is better to replace it.
Always consider the number of fish. The more of them, the cup you need to clean the aquarium. Due to oversaturation, there is a risk of death of the inhabitants. There are species of fish that painfully tolerate frequent water changes.
When the aquarium holds more than 10 liters of water and is equipped with the necessary equipment, you can clean it once a month. The entire cleaning process is to remove plaque. When replacing water, the pollution is removed from the bottom, but this can be handled by the filter.
Frequent water changes affect the microclimate, and fish and plants experience stress. There are cases when a fuzzy brown color appears on the walls of aquariums. It is useless to delete. We must deal with the cause of his appearance.
The current cleaning should take place several times a week. If, during the movement of fish, a mud stain rises from the bottom, this is the signal for the beginning of cleansing, even if the inhabitants feel well.
Preparing the aquarium for cleaning
Before you get to work, you need to prepare the tool and material. It will take:
- Large capacity.
- Siphon, complete with hose.
Prepare clean water. From the aquarium, remove stagnant water, up to 30% of the total volume. When the content of marine fish, water should be composed of sea salt. Fresh water should be free of impurities and chlorine.
Inflation of water takes place within two days.Two hours before the start of cleaning and two hours later, do not feed the fish.
Used containers must be new. Hands should be washed before the procedure. Before you start you need to turn off electrical appliances and filter.
How to drain the water
It will take a deep tank, a rider, a net, a hose with a clamp. Procedure.
- The aquarium water is drawn into the barge. You can use a tank or another aquarium.
- All plants are removed. If the water is drained due to algal disease, they will have to be thrown out and new ones used.
- Near the aquarium is placed a deep container, a level below.
- The hose should be flexible, and the length is several times larger than the height of the aquarium.
- The hose is filled with water, and the edges are clamped.
- One end is placed on the very bottom, near the ground. This will remove not only water, but all contaminants. The second end of the hose is lowered into the container.
- After the clamps are removed.
- If the capacity is less than the volume of the aquarium, you will periodically need to pour out the water.
Where to go fish
When a water is completely replaced, the fish are caught with a net and deposited in a deep container or in another aquarium. Used water from the aquarium.When the water is replaced completely, you can plant the aquarium plants. It is not recommended to run the fish for about a week. During this period, a microclimate will be formed. After a couple of days, the water will grow cloudy. This indicates the activity of bacteria, and after a few days will begin to lighten. It's time to return the fish.
Step-by-step cleaning plan
Aquarium - home and office decoration. Keeping it clean is easy. The main thing is to know some nuances.
Walls and glass
Cleaning begins with cleaning the walls. It depends on them entertainment. Bacteria and algae appear on the glasses. It gives a sloppy look.
The outside of the tank can be cleaned with a damp sponge or cloth. Special detergents do not harm the inhabitants. Snails and fish cope with some types of pollution, but traces remain on the glass. Part of the plaque can eat fish, and the rest is removed by draining water.
Washing the soil will lead to a violation of the microclimate and poor health of the fish.
With a good filter, some of the waste is removed, the other remains and settles at the bottom.Rotting violates the growth of algae, to prevent this, you need to clean the soil. For this purpose, a special siphon is used, which is designed to clean the soil. Devices may differ in characteristics and functionality, but the principle of operation remains unchanged.
Pollution from the soil washed out by pressure. The result is clean ground and water. It is advisable to use it at the time of partial replacement of water.
Algae and decorations
A dark-colored film forms on the decorations and algae. A scourer or bristle brush is used for removal. Cleaning work can be carried out inside the aquarium or removed. Do not use cleaning products. Before you return the scenery and algae, they must dry.
The sponge inside the filter needs to be cleaned regularly, to avoid clogging and reducing water flow. But it should be borne in mind that the old sponge with traces of pollution is more effective than the new one. This is due to the fact that the beneficial bacteria live on the surface of the sponge.When heavily polluted, it is difficult for water to enter, because of the decrease in oxygen these bacteria die.
Thus, a sponge from a low power filter needs to be washed once every few weeks. If the filter contains activated carbon, it must be changed monthly. Filters with primary cleaning are replaced every few weeks, and biological wash once a month.
Replacing all the water can be harmful, as when washing the soil. In order not to violate the microclimate, about 30% of water should be replaced weekly.
How to remove pollution without draining water
You can take care of the health of the inhabitants of the aquarium by cleaning once a week.
- Prepare a volume of water to be replaced.
- For cleaning the glass and algae you will need a scraper.
- Deep capacity.
- Hand pump.
- Replaceable filter accessories.
- Special cleaners for walls.
Step-by-step actions to remove contamination:
- Walls.Glasses can be cleaned with a scraper. For difficult pollution the blade will approach. Use of clean rubber gloves is required. The scraper is used only for working in an aquarium.
- Cooking water.You need to determine how much water will change. With regular care of the aquarium, you can replace 15% of the volume. If there are sick fish, then upgrade to 50%.
- Pumping water.The pump is placed in the aquarium, and water is pumped into the tank.
- Cleaning gravel.In such cases, a special pump is used. With it, you can remove food residue and contamination. If there are fry in the aquarium, then a cloth should be attached to the end of the pump. In the presence of sand, it is not recommended to use a spade-shaped pump. To remove dirt, you can use a hose from the pump, it will not come into contact with the sand.
- Scenery.Do not forget that the scenery is kept clean. Algae begin to grow at a rapid rate with an excess amount of nutrients. You can remove them with a scraper in the pumped water. If cleaning is difficult, you can use a bleaching solution. After that, the scenery is washed with boiling water, dried and returned back.
- Adding water.Replacement of water should occur in compliance with the temperature regime - this is an important factor in the health of the inhabitants of the aquarium.For fish, warm water may seem too hot. When using tap water, you need to soften it. At elevated nitrate levels, half of the volume can be replaced with distilled water.
After replacing the water, you can proceed to the treatment of the external surface of the aquarium, using a damp cloth or sponge, without chemical detergents.
How to care for the aquarium
When the aquarium is equipped and fish are launched into it, it is necessary to take care of it regularly. This will preserve the attractive appearance and health of the inhabitants. It will take a couple of minutes every day and a couple of hours a week.
Feeding and inspection equipment
Inspection of the inhabitants. At the time of feeding you need to inspect the fish for diseases. If you suspect, find out the reason and take action.
- Replacing water.Replace part of stagnant water once a week or two.
- Care of the glass.Remove algae from the walls of the aquarium.
- Filter.The filter needs care. Clean the sponge and change the elements that filter the water.
- Plants.They need attention.Dead ones to be removed, some worth cutting.
- Cooling.In the warm season you need to cool the aquarium. Install away from direct sunlight.
- It is not recommended to overfeed fish. You need to give as much food as the inhabitants can eat within a few minutes. Remains of food settle to the bottom and decompose, and from overeating fish can get sick.
- Water should not be teeming with fish and algae. Biological balance will be disturbed.
- Do not choose a deep aquarium, it will make cleaning difficult. The best option is when the hand reaches the bottom.
- For novice aquarists it is not recommended to acquire expensive types of inhabitants. Due to lack of experience the fish may die. It is better to gain experience on unpretentious types.
- Inhabitants can jump out, so the aquarium should be closed.
- After the death of the fish, do not immediately launch a new individual. Observe the quarantine period.
- If you need to change the temperature of the water, do not do it abruptly.
- Remove any feed residue in a timely manner. This will avoid contamination.
- When the inhabitants fall ill, it is better to sanitize the aquarium.
- When completely replacing the water, do not deposit the fish in a metal container.
- Fish should be protected from noise. They may experience discomfort, as a result, immunity will decrease and they will be more likely to get sick.
Self-cleaning of the aquarium at home will not create problems and will not take much time. Following the care tips, properly caring for the fish, enjoy and enjoy the beauty of the inhabitants of the water world.