How to connect the Internet through a router?
Watch the video
With the help of a router or, as it is also called, a router, you can create a local network in your apartment that will distribute the Internet to all technical devices connected to it.
Today we will look at how to independently connect the Internet through a router.
Bundle and device router
Complete set of a router
Open the box and check the contents. The configuration of the router should include the following: the device itself, the adapter (power supply), the Ethernet network cable (RJ-45 connector), the driver disk and the installation program, the router configuration guide. In this case, we will not need the installation CD, since we will set all the settings on our own.
Turn the router over with the back panel facing you and notice the ports. Typically, the device contains five connectors, four of which are the same color. These inputs are called LAN-ports and are designed to connect the equipment with which you want to access the global network. The fifth connector is excellent in color and is called the WAN or Internet port.This connector is designed to connect the Internet wires, which were given to you by your provider’s company.
To the right of the Internet-connector is the input for connecting the power supply. And the panel closes a small button called "Reset". The button is used to reset the settings and reset the router. To reboot the device, you must press the button (with a fine tip, for example, a toothpick, etc.) and hold it for five seconds. When you press the "Reset" button, all installed settings are reset and the default settings are set.
Installation, connection and configuration of the router
Installation and connection
- First you need to call the operator’s technical support provider. Notify that you want to register the router and dictate the MAC address of the device to the specialist (the number is on the sticker on the router itself, as well as spelled out in the instructions).
- Determine the location of the device: the router can be installed directly in the room where the computer is located, or hung on the wall, for example, in the corridor. When installing the router, make sure that there is a 220 volt outlet nearby.
- Then connect the power supply to the router and plug the device into a power outlet.
- Connect the Internet wire to the WAN connector.
- Connect the network cable to one of the LAN ports on the router, and on the other hand to the corresponding input on the computer or laptop.
- After connecting the device, proceed to its configuration.
- Click "Start", go to "Control Panel", select the "Network Connections" tab and go to "Local Area Connection".
- Right-click on the connection icon and select "Properties".
- Then click on "Internet Protocol (TCP / IP)" and click on the "Properties" button.
- Check the appropriate boxes to automatically configure IP and DNS addresses.
- Depending on the operating system, the progress of setting up IP and DNS may differ. (Click the Start button and select View Network Connections. Next, select your connection type and go to Local Area Connection. Go to Properties and select Internet Protocol Version 4. Then click the Properties button "go to the next window and check the corresponding boxes for automatic configuration of IP and DNS addresses).
- Next, find in the instructions from the router the IP address of the device. For most manufacturers, the router has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.
- Enter the IP in the browser address bar and press the "Enter" key.
- In the window that appears, you must enter your username and password. Data is also required to find in the guide to use the router. For most models, the username is admin, the password is admin or an empty string (that is, the password field remains empty).
- Then you need to dial the Provider operator and find out the following settings characteristics: connection type, server, username and password. Also find out if there are additional settings.
- After entering the user name and password that went by default, you need to go to the "Setup" section and select the "Internet Setup" tab.
- Then click on the "Manual Internet Connection Setup" button and list all the settings that the specialist dictated to you.
- After entering the settings, click the "Save" button.