How to make gasoline?
Watch the video
Gasoline is a hydrocarbon-containing substance that is obtained from the distillation of petroleum in industry. It is most often used in internal combustion engines to convert chemical energy into mechanical energy. In our article What is gasoline, this concept is described in detail.
Since gasoline and other automotive fuels are becoming more expensive every day, many are thinking about how to make gasoline from waste, which will be much cheaper than that produced industrially.
Can I make gas on my own?
It turns out that to make gasoline in laboratory conditions or close to them is quitereally. To do this, it is not necessary to have a personal oil well. Fuel can be produced from waste. The process will require the following materials and items:
- Refining waste - it is best to take rubber tires that are unsuitable;
- The stove - the electric stove is best suited;
- Three tanks, the walls of which are made of refractory materials;
- Distiller or moonshine.
How to make gasoline: the progress of work
- It is necessary to take three tanks. It is best if the first one is a metal barrel with a ground-in lid that closes tightly. It is necessary to build in it a tube, also heat-resistant. This barrel will be used as a retort. You will need another capacitor (you cantake whatever capacity you like) and water lock. For the latter, it is best to take a solid container with two tubes: one of them will remain on the surface, and the second will be under water.
- When all tanks are ready, you can start assembling the apparatus for the production of liquid hydrocarbons. To do this, you need to attach the pipe that comes out of the retort to the second tank (condenser). A tube (hose) comes out of the latter, the other end of which is attached to one of the water seal tubes, they will be under water. The second tube from the last tank is connected to the stove. On the stove is placed the first container. Thus, it turns out a closed apparatus for pyrolysis - high-temperature cracking.
- In the first tank you need to put car tires and heat it at a high temperature. It is best to pre-pass the rubber products through a shredder or simply manually grind them to the size of 5 * 5 cm.Under the action of heating, the rubber will disintegrate, and the hydrocarbon molecules in the form of gas will be released. The gaseous mixture will rise to the lid of the retort and from there go through the tube to the condenser. In the second tank, the gas will be cooled and liquefied (condensed). In this way it turns out not gasoline, but liquid combustible substance.
- In the course of the described physicochemical reactions, not only molecules of a combustible substance are formed, but also a mixture of hydrocarbon gases (methane-propane-butane), most of which is methane. Therefore describedthe apparatus must be closed on itself, and methane, having passed through all its components, enters the furnace and burns there, maintaining the proper temperature.
- The resulting liquid is not gasoline. It is also necessary to additionally overtake it on a distiller or a device similar to moonshine. The principle of its operation is almost the same as that of the above described system. A distillation column and condenser (cooler) must also be present. The system does not have to be closed, but it is better to work under the hood. It is best to heat the combustible mixture not on the open fire of the stove (t = 200 ° C), but on the hotplate, since when heated, explosive gases can be generated from it.
Getting 92 gasoline
In our article What is gasoline is described in detail about what are the brand of gasoline and how they differ. Let's talk more about how to make 92 gasoline (high-octane). To do this, heat the mixture to as high a temperature as possible. With the proposed 200 ° C, the gasoline output will be only 10% or less, and if the column is heated to 500 ° C, the output will be much larger. Up to 95th gasoline, you can bring the resulting combustible mixture with the help of additives increasing octane.
The gasoline obtained by the described method is practically no different from that sold at the gas station. However, the octane number of such fuel may be lower, therefore, it is undesirable to use it in expensive cars, as this may damage the engine. In addition, homemade gasoline needs additional cleaning from impurities.