How to restore the battery?
Rechargeable batteries have a number of undoubted advantages, which is why they are widely used in modern devices. However, they may lose their quality over time and as a result do not perform the main function - to maintain the power supply of devices.
Depending on the reasons for the failure, it is possible to give the battery a second life by restoring it. This article describes some of the recovery methods. On the possible causes of problems with the car battery, see our article How to reanimate the battery.
How to recover car acid batteries
The method is based on multiple charge with short intervals.
- Set the charger to minimum power and connect to the battery.
- After about 1-1.5 hours, stop charging and reconnect the device after 10-20 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure 5 - 7 times.
The fact is that over time a more dense electrolyte accumulates among the plates and the battery ceases to take charge.During the termination of the charging process, a dense electrolyte flows into the interelectrode space, which means using cyclic charging, you can try to bring the density to normal values.
Method Two: Electrolyte Replacement
- Open the covers and drain the electrolyte from the battery.
- Rinse the container with hot water several times.
- 3 teaspoons of soda dissolve 100 ml of water. Boil the mixture and pour it into the battery. Leave for 20 minutes, then drain. Repeat the procedure several times.
- Rinse the battery again 3 - 4 times with hot water.
- Fill with new electrolyte and charge for 24 hours.
- After that, for 10 days, charge the battery daily for 6 hours.
Method three: reverse charge
If nothing helps, arrange the battery "shake"
- Take a powerful voltage source (from 20 V and current from 80 A).
- Open the battery plugs and charge the opposite: connect the device plus to the minus of the battery, and the minus to the plus.
- Charge in this way for 30 minutes. Most likely, the battery will boil.
- Drain the electrolyte, flush the battery and fill it with new electrolyte.
- Put on a normal charge for 24 hours, only the poles have now changed: connect to the factory minus plus charging and vice versa.
The last two methods are only suitable for serviced batteries equipped with special caps for adding electrolyte.
Maintenance-free batteries, it is important to properly charge, then the issue of recovery for a long time will not arise from you. Read about charging options in our article How to charge a maintenance-free battery.
How to recover lithium-ion phone batteries
Usually, the phone battery becomes unusable due to improper charging, problems with the current sensor and for other reasons. A damaged battery looks bloated due to the accumulation of gas plates move away from each other, and the device does not hold a charge.
You can fix the situation as follows.
- Carefully separate the top of the battery with the sensor from the case.
- Disconnect the sensor from the rest of the design.
- Immediately below the sensor panel is a cap that can be punctured, for example, with a nail. Do this very carefully so as not to damage the “stuffing”.
- Take a flat object with an area larger than the battery area, place the battery on the table and press it on top of this object to return to its former shape.
- Take a drop of epoxy and seal the hole with it.
- Solder the charge sensor panel.
- Charge the battery with a universal charger.
How to recover a laptop battery
With regard to the restoration of laptop batteries, it should be borne in mind that a laptop is a sophisticated electronic device, and improper battery operation can damage the entire unit. First, decide whether you are ready for such consequences. If the answer is no, trust the repair professionals or replace the item completely.
To try to repair the battery yourself, try the following:
- Separate the two halves of the plastic battery case with a knife.
- Multiply the number of cells in your battery by 1.2 V, if you have a nickel-metal hydride battery, and by 3.7 V, if a lithium-ion battery. This is the rated battery voltage.
- Measure the actual voltage level with a multimeter. If it is equal to the nominal, and the laptop does not work - it's in the charge controller, it needs to be replaced.
- If the actual voltage is less than necessary, separate the elements (be sure to remove the controller) and by measuring find the faulty ones.
- Replace unsuitable items, solder design.
- Plastic box will have to glue with instant glue. Replace the battery and connect the charger.
After charging, the battery should work.