How to set up a satellite dish?
Watch the video
Satellite antennas can receive television broadcasting transmitted by special communication satellites, which are located in near-earth orbit. The set of such a system includes a TV tuner (receiver), a converter and, directly, an antenna, popularly called a “dish”.
In order to ensure the operation of the whole complex, it is important to correctly install the antenna, configure it to receive signals from certain satellites, within the coverage area of which you are, as well as to debug the receiver. How to do it right and what points to consider you learn by reading this article.
How to install a satellite dish
The density of satellites broadcasting in Eastern Europe and Siberia is quite high. That is why offset satellite antennas are becoming increasingly popular. Their main advantage is the technical ability to install several converters that are configured to receive signals from different satellites.To do this, they are equipped with a special DiSEqС switch, which automatically switches the tuner to receive data from one converter to another, depending on which satellite you are watching.
Satellites rotate in geocentric orbit (around the Earth) and make one revolution in 24 hours. Thus, satellites seem to hover over one of the points on the surface of the planet. For example:
- Sirius satellite is located - 5 degrees east longitude (5E);
- Hot Bird satellite - 13 degrees east (13E);
- Amos satellite - 4 degrees west longitude (4W).
At the same time, all of them are located closer to the equator relative to middle latitudes, therefore the “plates” - the mirrors of satellite antennas should be directed south.
Thus, if your home is located around 32 degrees (32E) east longitude, the antenna converter will need to be directed approximately 28 degrees (32E-5E = 28E) east of south (to the right of the compass arrow) to receive the signal from the Sirius satellite; by 19 (32E-13E = 19) and 36 (32E + 4W, because you need to take into account 32 degrees to zero longitude and 4 after it) degrees east of the south direction, respectively, for the other two satellites.
In this case, the right side converter will receive the signal from the Amos satellite, the central one - Sirius, and the left one - the Hot Bird.
It is useful when installing converters can compass - to determine the cardinal. And from professional tools use the Sat-Finder - a special device that shows the strength of the incoming signal.
On choosing the most successful place for the location of the "dish", read our article How to install the antenna.
- The bed, which is equipped with a satellite dish kit, must be installed so that the protruding pin of the mount is perpendicular to the horizontal surface, not leaning to the right or left. Be sure to fasten the frame to all provided fastenings using anchor bolts or dowels.
- Install the central converter on the central bracket of the antenna mirror, as well as multifida (special mounts for side converters). First install the left multifid (if you face the “plate”). To do this, attach the metal bar, securing itbolt, then metal pin with converter holder. On the pin, install the converter itself.
- Install the right multifeed in the same way. Do not overtighten the mounting of the connectors too much, since the exact angle of rotation of the converter is not calculated arithmetically, and you will have to adjust them after installing the antenna.
- Connect the DiSEq switch with three pieces of wire. F-connectors are attached to the stripped ends of the wires. One end is connected to the converter, and the other - to the switch inputs. The length of the wires depends on where you plan to attach the switch, usually about 1 meter of cable is required. On the technical characteristics shown to the wire, read our article How to connect a dish.
- Install the assembled satellite dish on the frame (wall mount). Fix it with the help of bolts, but do not tighten it completely until it is possible to turn the mirror right-left, up and down.
- Thus, the "plate" should be directed to the south. Turn the connector in the direction of the selected satellites (the difference in angles should not be more than 10-15 degrees).
How to set up a satellite dish
Before starting the setup, you need to connect the receiver to the TV and set the necessary parameters according to the attached instructions. After that, you can proceed to alternate adjustment of each of the converters of your antenna.
- The first is configured central converter, receiving signals from Sirius.To do this, connect the wire running from the connector to the first input of the DiSEqC switch. And switch the Receiver output of the switch cable to the input of the tuner.
- Use the remote control to enter the main menu and select the “Install Antenna” mode, in the “Manual Search” tab set the following parameters: frequency - 11.766 GHz, polarization “H”, flow rate - 27500SR.
- Catch the satellite signal. Focus on the quality indicator, turn the plate to the right or left, achieving the maximum signal value. Having obtained the best quality indicators, fix the converter in this position.
- Select the auto scan mode and check if your antenna is tuned to the satellite. If everything is correct, a list of channels will appear.
- Now carefully tighten all the antenna mounts, since having tuned in to the Sirius, changing the position of the “dish” is no longer necessary. Tightening the bolts, watch the signal, there is a chance that it will deteriorate slightly due to a change in the position of the antenna.
- Disconnect the center converter from the DiSEqC switch. In the “Manual search”, change the antenna number. Connect to input 1 side converter.
- Move the converter on the holder to the right, left, up, down tocatch the signal of the second satellite. After the signal is strong enough, fix the converter in the specified position.
- Disconnect the wire from the switch and connect the last converter. It is configured also as the second.
- After you fix all three converters, connect them to the DiSEqC switch as follows: input 1 (A) - Hot Bird, input 2 (cool) - Sirius, input 3 (C) - Amos.
- In the “Antenna Setup” menu, set the antenna numbers according to the connections to the DiSEqC switch.
- In the "Automatic tuning" mode, view all the satellites, configure the broadcast channels.
To learn more about the nuances of the settings, watch the video posted on this page.
The work is finished, enjoy!