How to work with Joomla?
Many people know such a set of scripts as Joomla. How to work with Joomla, tell our article. After downloading and installing Joomla on a hosting service, the control panel and the main page of the site are immediately accessible to you. Now you need to come up with or have the structure of your site. If you want to see several menu items on the site and when you click on one of them you can get to the page of the site, which will contain links to some materials, then you need to know exactly how to use Joomla. Suppose you have 50 articles that are conventionally divided into 2 categories:
- Articles on the process of creating a blog;
- Articles about the process of creating the forum.
In this case, you will have to create 1 section of the site and 2 of its category. The section must be created in any case, if you want to create at least one category. Having created a category, you need to select the section in which it belongs. And when creating articles, you must select the category to which they belong.
Creating a partition
For this you need:
- Enter the "admin";
- On the main page, click the button labeled "Sections", and you will be taken to the "Section Manager" (you can also select "Materials" in the main menu, and then "Section Manager");
- Press the button "Create";
- In the "Title" you can add a pseudonym, a description and much more;
- Click "Save" and you're done.
For this you need:
- In the main menu, select "Materials", and then the "Category Manager" (you can also click the "Categories" button from the main page);
- Press the button "Create";
- In the "Title" indicate the name of your category. Fill in the “Nickname” line in Latin letters (a few words are best separated by a “dash”);
- Next you need to select the desired section. In the "Description" we write the text you want to see when you open this page;
- Click "Save". In the same way we create the required number of categories.
In order to know how to work with Joomla, you need to know about the standard components that are available to you immediately after installing Joomla. Components are functional elements of this system that perform the most important part of the work. The position for the output of such components on the page is one, and is determined by the template using code.
- com banners (“Banner” component) is necessary for creating and managing banners. When you open the “Banner” item, you will see 3 sub-items.In the “Parameters” item you can enable the calculation of click statistics (clicks on this link). First you need to create a category, then a client, that is, an organization or person who orders the display of this banner. Now you need to create a banner for the client in this category. For this there is a tab "Banners".
- com contact (component “Contacts”) is necessary for creating contacts and a page with contact information on the site. To create them, go to the “Components” item, then to the “Contacts”, where you will see a simple page of this component. Using the "Options" button on the toolbar, you can customize the display of icons on the contacts page, as well as choose what to show and what not.
- com newsfeeds (“News feeds” component) is required to display news feeds (RSS) on the site, linking each feed to the menu, a list of all feeds or a list of feeds of a category.
- the component “Voting” is necessary for voting and polls on the site, as well as for publishing them or linking them to the menu.
- “Search” component - necessary for site search and displaying the search result.
- the “Link Directory” component is needed to create a link catalog that is similar to creating news feeds.
Standard Templates and Modules
In order to know how to work with Joomla, you need to know about standard modules. To see them, you need to go to the "Extensions" item, then in the "Module Manager".
- mod syndicate ("Syndicate") - needed to display a link to the news feed of the page in the desired position. In its configuration there is a “Position” item that determines where the module will be located. If there are several tapes, they can be displayed in a certain order using the “Order” field. Item "Access" gives the level of access to this module. To create a module you need to click the "Save" button (you can also "Apply").
- mod wrapper ("Wrapper") - necessary to create in the desired position of the window, inside which will be the page. The address of this page is entered in the parameters of this module.
- mod banners (“Banner”) - is required to display a banner in the selected position that was previously created in the “Banner” component. The item “Search by tags” is needed to display banners on the page, the tags of which are the same as the keywords of the page.
- mod login (“Login”) - required to display the user registration / login form.
- mod poll (“Voting”) - is required to display the vote previously specified in the “Voting” component in the required position.
- mod Feed (“News Feed”) - is required to display a news feed in the desired position, the address of which is specified in its settings.
- mod mainmenu ("Menu") - needed to display a previously created menu manager. It has many different settings that are very simple.
- mod breadcrumbs ("Site Navigator") - is required to show the user its location on the site.
- mod footer (“Footer”) and mod search (“Search”) are very simple and understandable modules.
- mod latestnews (“Latest News”) - needed to display a list of the latest news.
- mod related items ("Related Materials") - needed to compare keywords in the material.
- mod custom (“Custom HTML Code”) is required to output the HTML code that you specified when creating the module to the desired position.
- mod mostread (“Most Readable”) - needed to display a list of popular materials.
- mod newsflash ("Random news") - needed to display random news when the page is updated.
- mod stats ("Statistics") - needed to display site statistics.
Now you know how to use Joomla!