What to feed a rat?
Rats are decorative pets. They do not start for the protection of the house, like some dogs or for plowing fields like horses. These are the animals that are kept, as a rule, for beauty. And what does it depend on? Of course, from food. A proper diet, a balanced diet will ensure the health, and therefore the beauty and longevity of your pet. Let's try to figure out how to feed a decorative rat.
Feeding domestic rats
First, let's look at what can be said about feeding in general. Here it is reasonable to highlight key topics:
- what can you feed a rat and what is forbidden;
- how much feed is needed;
- What is the frequency of feeding rats.
Food for rats
Surely, you even know from your diet that balance is necessary for health. It concerns the ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. As for rats, the balance for them is something like this: carbohydrates - 50-60% of the daily dose of foods, proteins - 20-25%, fats - 5-10%. That is, we see that fats and proteins in smaller quantities, it is important not to abuse them, it is harmful for rodents.
- It is known that special feeds are sold.As there is food for cats, dogs, fish, parrots, etc., so there is food for rats. Their plus is that many include additional vitamin and mineral complexes. However, the diet of your rodents should not be limited to only purchased feeds, a variety of food is simply necessary, so do not be lazy and read what to feed domestic rats in addition to purchased feeds.
- Vegetables fruits. Excellent sources of carbohydrates, so necessary in the diet of rats. In addition, fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals. Cucumbers, carrots, cabbage, potatoes, turnips are products that your rodent will definitely appreciate. Raw vegetables should not be given, and if you cook them, then by no means use spices. Be careful with the bones! Peaches, apricots, cherries (by the way, they also eat berries) have stones that contain prussic acid, which is dangerous for a pet. Be sure to remove the bones when feeding!
- Greens will also be appreciated by domestic rats. Parsley, dill, salad - what we need. In the summer, you can collect (away from the roads, of course) clover leaves, plantain, dandelion.
- Fish, meat. Any type of meat and fish, as well as offal (liver, heart) will benefit the decorative rat. However, remember about the ratio of protein-fat-carbohydrates.Keep track of the amount of data products, choose low-fat varieties. Cooking should also be healthy: cooking or steaming without spices (rats have a rather weak liver, fried food is dangerous for them).
- Dairy products, eggs. Eggs are cooked hard-boiled and better quail. Their number should not exceed one per week. Use low-fat dairy products. Bioyogurts and other dairy products with bifidobacteria are well suited. Besides the fact that the rats willingly absorb them, these products will establish their digestive process.
- Cereal and nuts. Germinated wheat, oats, rye, barley - sources of vitamin E, necessary for rats, especially in the cold period. Of the nuts, it is better to avoid almonds and generally to maintain moderation.
What can not feed a rat
- Raw vegetables,
- alcoholic beverages and carbonated,
- green bananas
- Carefully give beets and cucumbers.
Dosage and Diet
Everything is good in moderation, so do not overfeed the rat. The problem is that they will gnaw, everything that you will give them, and this can lead to obesity and, as a result, various diseases, as well as death.
An adult rat needs 30-40 grams of feed per day.
Develop a rat's diet: train it to feed at the same time. For example, 3 times a day, in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening. So the rat will already know when to expect food, and you will be able to follow the daily dosage.